Tuesday 9 February 2010

Hearts for Haiti

Last week I was asked to donate some cakes to a bake sale in aid of Haiti. It's a really busy week here, but of course I wanted to help.

As well as cupcakes decorated with glittery hearts - it's almost Valentine's Day after all - I needed another really quick recipe, so I made up a batch of the gooeyiest, most decadent double chocolate pecan brownies. YUM!

I had intended to make a biscuit bar which is almost obscene in it's lusciousness. (Really. It has been christened by friends as 'The DD'.) Unfortunately I completely ran out of time, but I have a shocking weakness for it and now it's in my mind I'll be knocking up a batch at the weekend.

Here's the recipe if you fancy making it...it's super easy, and really nice with a cup of coffee and a little sit down.

'DD' Bar
200g digestive biscuits
100g butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp cocoa powder
50g raisins
100g dark or milk chocolate

Butter an 18cm sandwich tin. Seal the biscuits in a strong polythene bag and bash into uneven crumbs with a rolling pin.

Melt the butter and syrup in a pan. Stir in the cocoa and raisins. Spoon in to the tine and press down firmly.

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (or microwave cautiously - it's very easy to ruin the chocolate in a micro). Spread over the biscuit base and chill for about half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment